By Tudor Davies, Terry's Fabrics
As you may know, Bill Buyok is the founder and owner of Avente Tile. He started the company as an online tile showroom and catalog so that hand-painted ceramic tiles and cement tiles are more easily and broadly available for others who share the same passion. Avente Tile's mission is to search the globe to find the finest and most extraordinary tiles for their customers while providing excellent service and product knowledge. With that in mind, here are the Designer Insights of Bill Buyok.
Editor's Note: Bill Buyok's Designer Insights were originally published Tuesday, May 19 on the Terry's Fabrics Blog by Tudor Davies. It's only one in a collection of Designer Insights compiled by Tudor and his team that profile designers and design enthusiasts. We're honored to have been included in this collection, and thank Terry's Fabrics for this opportunity. If you enjoy Bill's insights, then be sure to visit the Terry's Fabrics blog and peruse all of the Designer Insights.
The following transcript shows the interview questions and Bill's response to each.
- In your own words, describe your unique style and creative aesthetic? I’m drawn to classic Spanish, Moroccan, and Italian designs, the nature-inspired design of the Arts & Crafts Movement, and a love for Hispano-Moresque design.
- When starting a new project, what is your creative process? Listen to customers, understand their needs and wants. I start with facts, then develop the color scheme and apply pattern, motifs, accent colors and flourishes to establish design and personal style.
- Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most? My customers, who include designers, architects, and residential customers, often envision something extraordinary, unique and bold. Our cement tiles allow customers to create designs and apply color to a pattern of their choice, allowing them to control the creative design process. Thus, the tile’s pattern and color have now been reinvented into something beautiful that I would have never imagined.
- When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired? During my early morning treks through Los Angeles neighborhoods, I find inspiration around me. I then turn those inspirations into design ideas that are unique, fun and useful.
- What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps? Work hard, persevere, and do what you love! Every day presents its own unique challenges that you have to translate to opportunity. Never give up and always believe in yourself. Remember, it’s not how you handle the best days; but, how you handle the challenges and disappointments that really matter.