I often hear that patterned cement tiles are "old fashioned" and can't create a contemporary look. It's one myth that I'd like to debunk.
The Serengeti pattern from Avente's Classic Cement Tile collection provides an exotic, contemporary feel that is timeless in its classic two-color pallet. This dining room floor is an elegant and contemporary focal point for this resort restaurant.
Notice how the tiles are "mismatched" so that the light color cream is juxtaposed to black in the neighboring tile. Compare to the Serengeti pattern shown below. Also, the pattern runs the entire room without a border.
This bright corporate bathroom uses a classic Cuban Heritage Pattern in the bold, contemporary colors of Turquoise, Brown, and Caribbean Blue. The tile is used on the floor, wall, and ceiling for a very modern and cool feel. Here a border is used between the wall and floor joints to provide a boundary and transition.
These two examples show cement tiles creating a contemporary style and mood. If you love cement tiles and want to use them in a contemporary setting, here's a few tips that might help.
To create a more contemporary look using cement tiles:
- Limit your choices to a few colors.
- Choose simple patterns that use just a few colors in a contemporary pallet.
- Install patterns so they run to the edge of the room.
- Use a border at the edge of a room if you are installing the same pattern on vertical and horizontal surfaces to provide a transition.
- On simple geometric patterns, try "mismatching" the dark and light colors on neighboring tile. This works well for high-contrast tiles.
Avente Tile has a great selection of cement tiles. We stock many tiles for quick shipping. We love to talk tile! Contact us at 888.739.4972 (9-5 PST M-F) or at info@AventeLLC.com with questions about using cement tiles in your installation.